Wednesday, September 23, 2009

:: Something Spooky is Brewing... ::

Well, I finally finished reading/studying/drooling over the new Martha Stewart Halloween magazine. And of course, I love it. That's no big surprise. I have every Halloween book and magazine that Martha has ever published. I love the ideas. And reading this particular mag has definitely got me in the holiday "spirit". (Sorry, puns are fun.)
First of all, I absolutely
looooove the cover of the magazine. The creepy Equestrian costume is awesome. If I only had a horse. It goes without saying that this magazine is just "oozing" with inspiration. (See how fun puns can be?) Now, you should know that there are several recycled ideas in the magazine, like the long-nosed jack-o-lanterns and the starburst pumpkin sconces, just to name a few. I mean, if you haven't seen them before then it's no big deal, but most die-hard Martha fans will recognize them instantly.
The best ideas in the mag are actually from the
Grandinroad advertisement section where Ms. Martha is selling some of her original decorations. Now, I don't know about you, but I personally don't have the means to drop $200 on one spooky yard display. Yikes. But what I DO have is an uber-talented hubby (who happens to be an amazing artist) who can recreate some of the ideas in this section. From the eerie black witch yard silhouettes to the amazing highly-detailed gravestones, I have plenty of projects to keep my man busy this season!
Just a side note here, as I was finding the links for all of my references, I noticed that the "highly-detailed gravestones" are no longer available. There's no explanation as to why they are no longer available, so if you were looking to grab a few of them, you're out of luck.
If I were to sum up Martha's Halloween decorating mantra this year, I would have to say it would be
GLITTER!!!! Yes, glittered Halloween decorations. Glittered skulls, glittered bones, glittered bugs, glittered pumpkins, glittered silhouettes... GLITTER! And hey, I loves me some glitter, so I actually think this is a fantastic idea. But if glitter isn't your thing... I guess your Halloween will just be a little less sparkly.
Here are some of my absolute faves from the magazine (and just so you know, these images came straight from
MarthaStewart.com):

So, I have designated this Sunday as our "Official Halloween Decorating Day." It's official. Seriously. I am going to pull out all my decorations and take inventory of what I have, and decide what I want to add. This year is going to be a bit different, though. Instead of spending a ton of money on new decorations, I intend to make everything this year. So, the only store bought items will be faux cobwebs, plastic bugs and spiders, and glitter. Other than that.... it will ALL be homemade. Once I get my house "haunted" I will be sure to post photos.
If you haven't picked up a copy of Martha's Halloween magazine yet, and you are lucky enough to find one on the racks, grab it! It's inspiring and fun and creepy and silly... just what Halloween should be.


HAPPY HAUNTING!!!

No comments: