Sunday, September 27, 2009

:: I Heart Breakfast ::

Hands down, my favorite meal is breakfast. I could eat breakfast food any time of day. Eggs, potatoes, bacon and all types of bread... the possibilities are endless. My hubby and son love breakfast food, too. So, on Friday's we have breakfast for dinner. Sometimes we even put on our jammies to eat. It's a lot of fun.
One Friday, I was going through the fridge and pantry trying to decide what to make, and I kept looking at these sweet potatoes we had bought about a week earlier. I really needed to use them, but I couldn't think of how.... then it came to me... Sweet Potato Hash with Fried Eggs.
From that Friday on, I have made that same meal about three or four times. We love it. I don't have a recipe, since I made it up as I cooked, but here are some of the basics:

Sweet Potato Hash

Sweet Potato Hash
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 an onion
1/2 medium green pepper
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 small apple
1/2 can of chicken broth
salt and pepper

Heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Dice the potatoes into even cubes and add them to the pan and cook for several minutes. Once I add them to the pan, I try not to move them around, so they will get that awesome brown color. Then I add the diced onion and green pepper (I try to chop the pepper about the same size as the potatoes), and cook for a few more minutes, until they start to brown. Then I add the apples (chopped about the same size as the potatoes and peppers), grate the garlic into the pan, and then add the chicken broth. I simmer everything in the pan until the broth reduces and the sweet potatoes and apples are tender. Salt and pepper to taste. *Okay, I don't write recipes, so this is really just a guesstimate. You may need to tweak a few things.
I put the hash into a bowl and add a fried egg to the top of it. There's nothing better than cutting into the yolk and all that eggy goodness oozing onto the hash. Yeah, that's yummy for ya!! I guess you could use regular potatoes, too. I've never tried it, but I am sure it would taste great.
If you have any questions, let me know. And if you haven't tried it before, you should really give 'breakfast for dinner' a shot... you may love it!


Happy Cooking!

No comments: