Friday, October 2, 2009

:: Photography ::

About a year ago, we bought this awesome camera and I just knew I was going to hone my photo-taking skills and turn into this incredible photographer and hang my works in galleries. Okay, so I'm kidding about the gallery part, but I really did think it would be easy to pick up photography. Yeah, I was wrong. VERY wrong.
Here's the thing... I love taking photos of my family. I love capturing natural, real images of the people I love. I have never liked those "studio pictures" where the family sits all nice and still and posed for the camera and then it gets all airbrushed and they add those weird blurry edges. Bleh. Just not my thing. It's not real. It just doesn't seem honest. Plus, it's expensive. So, you will never see family portraits on the walls of my home. Instead, we have framed pictures of candid moments throughout our lives. Real places. Real moments. Tons of memories.
I am also not a big fan of editing my photos. I don't crop or sharpen... I like the photos the way they are. The moment was special enough for me to want to document it, so I don't want to change it.
Thanks to advancements in camera technology, the playing field has really been leveled when it comes to photography. Tricks and techniques that were once available to only professional photographers and studios are now at the hands of every day people. People like me. But here's the deal... taking photos is one thing, but having the eye and skill to see a real opportunity and capture it in the perfect moment takes true talent. I have two friends, one a professional photographer and the other a new stay-at-home-mom, and they both take the most beautiful, inspiring photographs. I can't describe it really, but if you could see their photos, you would know what I mean. They have talent. Amazing, real talent.
I subscribe to a few newsletters from online photography groups that send weekly tips and ideas to my inbox, and I love them. I have learned a lot. So, this weekend, maybe Saturday, I am going to drag my incredible family around our neighborhood and cities and practice taking photos. I have been wanting to do this for a while, but the weather and our busy schedules kept getting in the way. But this weekend should be perfect.

I took this photo last year at the State Fair. October 2008.

I took this photo at the famous Forest Lawn Cemetery in Buffalo, NY.
It was actually included in an online travel guide for Buffalo, NY. August 2008.


This was also taken at Forest Lawn. We spent hours there.
It is huge and beautiful and I can't wait to visit again. August 2008.


Forest Lawn Cemetery. August 2008.

I took this at the Dallas Arboretum this past spring. March 2009.

No comments: